Davenport Association of Professional Firefighters
Local #17
  • September 25, 2017
    Contact Elected Officials!
  • Davenport Fire Stations
    Feb 24, 2007

     

     

     

    History of Station
    Prior to the organization of the present Davenport Fire Department on May 1, 1882, the downtown area was served by several volunteer organizations. These groups were often parochial in nature in regards to nationality, religion and types of businesses they served.


    Chief's Car 1

    Central Fire Station 1902


    Central Fire Station 2005


    The Fire King Engine and Hose Company was organized on December 7, 1857. The Fire Kings were housed on the south side of the alley between Brady and Perry Streets until 1878. From 1878 until organization of DFD in 1882 the Fire Kings occupied a firehouse which still stands today on the east side of Perry Street between River Drive and Second Street.

    Engine 1


    The Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company was also organized in the latter part of the 1850's. They held quarters at the Western Avenue Market House located between 4th and 5th streets. The building was owned by the City of Davenport and was partially occupied by various meat and garden vendors. The Rescue Hand Engine Company took residence here until a fire in the winter of 1871 "which wiped the Market House and fire apparatus from the face of the earth". These companies were disbanded by the City on May 1,1882. A two story double brick engine house at 4fh and Scott streets was used until torn down in the spring of 1901 to make way for the present Central Fire Station.

    Engine 2


    Central Fire Station began service in 1905. There have been many changes over the years. A few to the exterior and many on the interior. Most modifications were made to keep up with our changing world and fire service. A two-story addition was added on the south side in the 1930's or 40's. This portion of the building houses a double garage bay, rescue boat bay and 5-story training tower on the first floor. The second floor contains a classroom, station maintenance room, Training Officer, Hazardous Materials Coordinator, EMS Coordinator offices and exercise room. The original portion of Central Fire Station contains a bay for Chief's car and confined space rescue van. There is also an apparatus bay for the District Chief's car. Engine 1, Engine 2 and Truck 1. Upstairs from this area is the Chief's office, Assistant Chief's office, Fire Prevention Bureau's office, District Chief's office and Captain's office. Twenty four-hour shift personnel make use of a kitchen, lounge, men's and women's locker rooms and a dormitory style bedroom. Two brass poles make quick responses possible from the bedroom to apparatus floor. A steel pole also runs from the lounge to the chief's bay. There is also a 75-foot hose tower on the apparatus floor.

    The Fire Prevention Bureau consists of the Fire Marshal, Fire Education Lieutenant, Commercial Inspection Lieutenant, Hazardous Materials Lieutenant and Bureau Secretary. The administrative office has the Fire Chief, Assistant Fire Chief and Administrative Assistant.


    Personnel

    Thirty-nine 24-hour shift personnel call Central Fire Station their home.

     

    Run Volume

    District Chief's car #1 answered 1,249 calls in 2005. Engine #1 had 1,864 runs. Engine #2 answered 2,062 calls. Tower #1 had 480 calls.

     

    Apparatus
    Engine Company #1 and Engine Company #2 are two of our NEW Engines. Engine Company #1 was put in service on July 28, 2006 and Engine Company #2 was put in service on October 19, 2006. They were part of the six fire trucks that were purchased in 2006. Manufactured by Custom Fire Apparatus of Osceola, Wisconsin, they are a 2006 Custom Fire Apparatus side-mounted pumper on a Spartan Metro Star Chassis with a 184 inch wheel base. They have a gross vehicle weight of 42,000 lbs. with 18,000 lbs. on the front axle and 24,000 lbs. on the rear axle.These vehicles are powered by a Cummins ISL, 6 cylinder, 540 cubic inch, 400 horsepower diesel engine.The transmission is an Allison model 3000 EVS, five speed transmission. The midship fire pump is a Waterous model CSUC10C, 1500 gpm centrifugal single stage, supplied by a 500 gallon fiberglass tank.The hose bed contains 850 feet of 5" supply hose, 600 feet of 2-1/2" supply hose, and 200 feet of 2-1/2" pre-connected Blitz line.
     
    Tower #l, or Truck Co. #1, was put in service on September 11, 1996. It is one of three aerial towers that were purchased from Sutphen Corporation out of Columbus, Ohio. Tower #1 has a reach of 100 feet and has two 750 gpm nozzles mounted to each side of the bucket. Water is supplied by a 1500 gpm Hale single stage centrifugal pump powered by a Detroit Diesel Series 60, 470 hp, 77300 in engine. Also it has an Allison 4 speed HT 740 D transmission. Gross Vehicle Weight is 61,000 with the front axle rated at 20,300 and the rear axle at 36,442. Tower #1 has a wheel base of 252". The rear hose bed carries 850 feet of 5" supply hose. Tower #1 is called "Bubba II", but is also known as "The Big Show".
    Tower 1 "Bubba II"
    Chief's Car 1

    Besides the obvious types of responses dictated by the nature of apparatus, Engine #1's crew is responsible for station maintenance at all of DFD's seven fire stations. Tower #1 is responsible for repair and maintenance of all fire apparatus, vehicles and mechanical equipment.

     
    Air Supply


     


    Feb 24, 2007
    Station 3

     

    History of the Station

    Station #3 was formerly in the 300 block of E. Locust Street and relocated to 3506 Harrison Street in 1964. This building features two stories with a training room, offices and a kitchen on the first floor. A living room and the bedroom are located on the 2nd floor. There are also 2 poles at this location.

     

    Personnel

    There are 12 personnel assigned to Station #3. This includes: 1 captain, 2 lieutenants, 3 engineers, 6 fire fighters.

    Service Area

    Station #3 has a solo boundary that includes Locust Street on the South, Eastern Avenue on the East, 53rd Street to the North, and as far West as Pine Street. The general territory includes the entire center section of the city from the Mississippi River to the City limits in the North.

     

    Run Volume

    Engine #3 answered 2,036 calls in 2005 and District Chief #2 answered 425 calls in 2005.
     

    Specialty or Area of Expertise

    Training and Fire Investigation are the two areas of expertise that Station #3 handles for the City of Davenport.

     ATF Certified Accelerant Detection K-9, "Brite"


    Other Items of Interest

    Station #3 survived the Duck Creek flood of 1990. But while the crew responded to numerous calls during this time, they returned to Station #3 finding 3 ft. of water throughout the building.

     

    Engine Company #3 was put in service on April 4, 1997. It was manufactured by General Safety Equipment Co. of Wyoming, MN. The chassis is a fully enclosed 4-door Spartan Lo-Pro Gladiator cab with 3 SCBA mounted seats and 1 air-ride drivers' seat. The cab is equipped with a Setcom #900 headset system-allowing rig to dispatch communications plus person to person vox talk around communications.

    Engine 3


    Apparatus

    Engine 3's drivetrain includes a 370hp, 12.7L Detroit Diesel turbocharged Series 60 motor and an /Allison HT-740 4-speed automatic transmission. The rear axle is equipped with a differential lock for positive rear axle traction. The midship pump is a 1250 GPM Waterous #CS single stage centrifugal pump. Standard air shift pump controls are located on the cab doghouse with *D" Drive being the pumping gear and high gear lock-up is automatic. There are three 5" Storz intakes with the front intake having an electric control valve switch on the pump panel. Officers side panel has three 2-1/2" discharges and one 2-1/2" gated intake while the drivers side panel has two 2-1/2" discharges and one 2-1/2" gated intake. The hose bed has one 2-1/2" discharge for the 200' blitz line and the rear tailboard has two 2-1/2" gated valves for discharges or Squirt only inlets. There are no rear intakes for the pump. Engine 3 has a 500-gallon Poly tank.  The hose bed contains 1200' of 5" hose, 750' of 2.5" hose, and a 200' blitz line.
     
    The apparatus has a GVW of 49,000 Ibs. with 18,000 Ibs. on the front and 31,000 Ibs. on the rear axle. The overall length is 32'-5" with a 190" wheelbase. The widest point is 9'-4" (112") at the rear view mirrors. The rear wheel wells measure 8'-9"(105") wide. The travel height is 10'-l"(121").
     
    Engine #3 has 2 unique features; the Squirt aerial master stream and the hydraulic ladder rack.

    District Chief 2

    Feb 24, 2007

    "Pride of the Eastside"

    Station 4


    Station 4, located at 1805 East Locust Street, was built in 1964, to replace the old station 4 situated at Jersey Ridge Road and East 11th Street, due to city expansion. This station is currently the smallest, square footage wise, in use by the City of Davenport. At present there 24 firefighters assigned to the 2 rigs quartered there. The station has no upper or lower floors, so there is no need for any poles. One of the main tasks of the station at this time is the relaying of information to the media.

     

    Personnel
    There are 24 personnel assigned to Station 4: 2 Captains, 4 Lieutenants, 6 Engineers, and 12 Fire Fighters.

    Apparatus
    Engine Company #4 was put in service on September 7, 2006. It is one of six fire engines purchased in 2006. It was manufactured by Custom Fire Apparatus of Osceola, Wisconsin. It is a 2006 Custom Fire Apparatus side-mounted pumper on a Spartan Metro Star Chassis with a 184 inch wheel base. It has a gross vehicle weight of 42,000 lbs. with 18,000 lbs. on the front axle and 24,000 lbs. on the rear axle.This vehicle is powered by a Cummins ISL, 6 cylinder, 540 cubic inch, 400 horsepower diesel engine.The transmission is an Allison model 3000 EVS, five speed transmission. The midship fire pump is a Waterous model CSUC10C, 1500 gpm centrifugal single stage, supplied by a 500 gallon fiberglass tank.The hose bed contains 850 feet of 5" supply hose, 600 feet of 2-1/2" supply hose, and 200 feet of 2-1/2" pre-connected Blitz line.

     

    Run Volume
    The run volume for the year of 2005 was 837 for Truck 2, and 1,907
    for Engine 4, with the majority of those being emergency medical runs. The territory encompassed by these two rigs has some of the oldest and historic houses in the City of Davenport.

    Specialty or Area of Expertise
    Training is currently being undertaken by all firefighters assigned to the station in the high angle and confined space rescue fields.

    Engine 4

     
    Truck Company #2 was put in service on September 1, 2002. Truck Company #2 and Truck Company #3 were both purchased at the same time from Sutphen Corporation out of Columbus, Ohio. Truck Co. #2 is a 75' aerial platform powered by a Detroit Series 60, 430 hp, and 12.7 HR engine with a 5 speed Allison transmission. Gross Vehicle Weight is 48,500. Truck Co. #2 has two 750 gpm nozzles in the bucket supplied by a Hale single stage centrifugal pump rated at 1,500 gpm. It has a booster tank of 300 gallon capacity. The hose bed has 850' of 5" supply hose and 200' of 2-1/2" hose.

    Feb 24, 2007

    "The Rat House"



    Built in 1994 to replace a station that was built in 1902, which was located in the 1900 block of Rockingham Road. Current location for Station 5 is 2808 Telegraph Road. This is a single level station with no hose tower. Private bedrooms are used for the crews assigned to the station. A hose dryer is employed rather than a hose tower.



    Personnel

    At the current time there are 12 people assigned to Station 5: 1-Captain, 2-Lieutenants, 3-Engineers, and 6-Fire Fighters.

     

    Service Area

    Station five covers the city from Division St. to the west city limits South of Telegraph Road on solo alarms. On general alarms the Station provides coverage from Division St. south of Central Park Ave. to the west city limits.

     

    Run Volume

    In 2000 Engine 5 responded to 1,386 calls.


    Apparatus

    A 1996 Alexis 1,250 GPM pumper equipped to provide extrication, paramedic, and foam operations. Also housed at Station 5 is Rescue Boat 5 a 1999 Crestliner 20' modified v-hull used for Rescue on the Mississippi River. In addition to the two first line rigs Station five has a reserve apparatus Engine 9 for use when first line rigs need maintenance.

    Engine 5 "Mighty Mouse"



    Specialty or Area of Experience

    Station 5 is the supply station for the entire department, as such they order all supplies necessary to run the 7 stations in the city. Station 5 has the responsibility for any river rescue that must be performed on the river. Recently, members have been trained in Ice Rescue procedures as well.
    Rescue 5


    Other Items of Interest

    Station 5's territory covers the majority of the Industrial portion of the City of Davenport and includes most of the Hazardous Material sites in the city. In addition to this, the major train switching yard for the rail road is in the area as well.

    Station Display Case

     

    Fire Station 5


    Feb 24, 2007

     

     
    Station #6 was built in 1953 at 1735 West Pleasant St. It replaced Hose Co. #6 at 14th St. and Marquette Street. Station #6 is a 1 story building with a hose tower and 2 separate bays. There are 24 personnel assigned to this building. The station was added on to in 1980 to make Station #6 a multi-company station.

    Fire Station 6


    Service Area
    The E6 service area covers roughly from 12th Street to Kimberly Road, from Gaines Street to the West City Limits. The T3 service area covers roughly from Gaines Street to the West City Limits to everything North of 12th Street.

    Run Volume
    In 2005, Engine 6 responded to 2,163 calls and Truck Co. #3 responded to 915 calls.

    Personnel
    There are 24 personnel assigned to Station #6. This includes: 2 Captains, 4 Lieutenants, 6 Engineers, and 12 Fire Fighters.
     
    Engine 6
    Truck 3 & Engine 6

    Apparatus

    Engine Company #6, mascot "Bulldog", was put in service on September 5, 2006. It is one of six fire engines purchased in 2006. It was manufactured by Custom Fire Apparatus of Osceola, Wisconsin. It is a 2006 Custom Fire Apparatus side-mounted pumper on a Spartan Metro Star Chassis with a 184 inch wheel base. It has a gross vehicle weight of 42,000 lbs. with 18,000 lbs. on the front axle and 24,000 lbs. on the rear axle.This vehicle is powered by a Cummins ISL, 6 cylinder, 540 cubic inch, 400 horsepower diesel engine.The transmission is an Allison model 3000 EVS, five speed transmission. The midship fire pump is a Waterous model CSUC10C, 1500 gpm centrifugal single stage, supplied by a 500 gallon fiberglass tank.The hose bed contains 850 feet of 5" supply hose, 600 feet of 2-1/2" supply hose, and 200 feet of 2-1/2" pre-connected Blitz line.

     

    Truck Company #3 was put in service on September 1, 2002. Truck Company #2 and Truck Company #3 were both purchased at the same time from Sutphen Corporation out of Columbus, Ohio. Truck Co. #3 is a 75' aerial platform powered by a Detroit Series 60, 430 hp, and 12.7 HR engine with a 5 speed Allison transmission. Gross Vehicle Weight is 48,500. Truck Co. #3 has two 750 gpm nozzles in the bucket supplied by a Hale single stage centrifugal pump rated at 1,500 gpm. It has a booster tank of 300 gallon capacity. The hose bed has 850' of 5" supply hose and 200' of 2-1/2" hose.


    Specialty or Area of Expertise
    Station #6 is specially trained as a Hazardous Materials Response Station. They are also equipped as a Police/Fire Radio Communications Link.

    HazMat Vehicle

    Feb 24, 2007

     


    Fire Station 7

    Station 7 was built in 1978 and is located at 2302 W. 67th St. on the corner of Northwest Boulevard and 67th Street.  The station is a single story building large enough to house two trucks. At this time, Engine 7 is the only vehicle operating out of the station with the extra bay used to store a spare rig.

    The station has a hose tower, work room to repair hose, an open bedroom, furnace/laundry, restroom, kitchen/living room, and an office.


     



    Personnel
    There are 12 people assigned here at the present time.  1 Captain, 2 Lieutenants, 3 Engineers, 6 Fire Fighters.

    Service Area
    The service area for Station 7 is all of northwest Davenport, the old CAT plant, Davenport Airport, Interstate 80 from Brady Street to the west city limits, and interstate 280 from I 80 to 60th Street.

    Run Volume
    In 2005, Engine 7 responded to 1,475 calls.

    Apparatus

    Engine Company # 7 was put in service on August 28, 2006. It is one of six fire engines purchased in 2006. It was manufactured by Custom Fire Apparatus of Osceola, Wisconsin. It is a 2006 Custom Fire Apparatus side-mounted pumper on a Spartan Metro Star Chassis with a 184 inch wheel base. It has a gross vehicle weight of 42,000 lbs. with 18,000 lbs. on the front axle and 24,000 lbs. on the rear axle.This vehicle is powered by a Cummins ISL, 6 cylinder, 540 cubic inch, 400 horsepower diesel engine.The transmission is an Allison model 3000 EVS, five speed transmission. The midship fire pump is a Waterous model CSUC10C, 1500 gpm centrifugal single stage, supplied by a 500 gallon fiberglass tank.The hose bed contains 850 feet of 5" supply hose, 600 feet of 2-1/2" supply hose, and 200 feet of 2-1/2" pre-connected Blitz line.


     
    Specialty or Area of Expertise
    Engine 7


    Station 7 repairs the fire hose for the entire Davenport Fire Department.

    Feb 24, 2007

     

     

    Station 8



    Station 8
    The station was built in the spring and summer of 1994. There has been substantial growth in northeast Davenport for the past 10 years.
    Station #8 is a twin of station #5, located on Telegraph road in southwest Davenport. They were built simultaneously. They have private bedrooms for the personnel. Neither has a hose tower, they use what's called a hose dryer to dry wet fire hose. Also, there are no poles to slide down because they were built as one-story buildings

    One engine company is on the apparatus floor of Station #8. Also, the Fire Safety House is in the bay and is taken to numerous schools, business and functions to teach children and adults about fire safety. There are four firefighters assigned to the rig per shift. Law requires a minimum manning of 3 firefighters, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Personnel
    There are 12 people assigned to Station 8: 1 Captain, 2 Lieutenants, 3 Engineers, and 6 Fire Fighters.

    Apparatus
    Engine Company # 8 was put in service on September 4, 2006. It is one of six fire engines purchased in 2006. It was manufactured by Custom Fire Apparatus of Osceola, Wisconsin. It is a 2006 Custom Fire Apparatus side-mounted pumper on a Spartan Metro Star Chassis with a 184 inch wheel base. It has a gross vehicle weight of 42,000 lbs. with 18,000 lbs. on the front axle and 24,000 lbs. on the rear axle.This vehicle is powered by a Cummins ISL, 6 cylinder, 540 cubic inch, 400 horsepower diesel engine.The transmission is an Allison model 3000 EVS, five speed transmission. The midship fire pump is a Waterous model CSUC10C, 1500 gpm centrifugal single stage, supplied by a 500 gallon fiberglass tank.The hose bed contains 850 feet of 5" supply hose, 600 feet of 2-1/2" supply hose, and 200 feet of 2-1/2" pre-connected Blitz line. 
     
    Engine 8
    Fire Safety House
     
    Service Area
    Engine #8 covers the northeast area of the city including much of Highway 61, and Intestates 80 and 74. Northeast Davenport is the fastest growing area of the city. This was the primary reason for the need for fire protection and medical services in that area of the city.

    Run Volume
    In 2005, Engine 8 responded to 1,178 calls.

    Specialty or Area of Expertise
    Station #8 is assigned the responsibility of being the SCBA station. Meaning that the firefighters assigned to station #8 are trained as technicians and are responsible for the maintenance, care and cleaning of all self-contained breathing apparatus units on the department. Also, personnel assigned are responsible for the annual testing of all units.
     

     




    Page Last Updated: Mar 06, 2007 (07:27:00)
  • Davenport Association of Professional Firefighters Local #17

    Copyright © 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive

    121448 hits since Jan 01, 2011


  • Top of Page image